It is Pride Month and we’ve come a long way since the Stonewall Uprising in 1969 that birthed the Pride movement. From allowing gay parents to be on their child’s birth certificates in 1999, to the 2007 equal rights bill, and national legalization of same sex marriage in 2015, among other important milestones, we have a lot to celebrate. However, we recognize there is still plenty to be done. Stigma and discrimination continue, and we must work to ensure equal treatment and opportunity for the LGBTQ+ community. In this historic month, it is important remember the many uphill battles it took to get us where we are today.
We recognize that every path to parenthood is unique. Progyny is proud to provide an inclusive and equitable family building benefit that celebrates the many ways we build our families, and we’ve compiled LGBTQ+ family building resources below. We believe knowledge is power; the more you can educate yourself, the more you can advocate for yourself and others.
LBGTQ+ Pride and Education
Progyny has been amplifying awareness and education around LGBTQ+ family building options and will continue to do so until everyone who wants to have a child is able to do so. Learning about the history of Pride can help us celebrate in the present, as does understanding what equality looks like, which is we have compiled these resources.
- Dates You Need To Know in LGBTQ+ Family Building History
- What Do Equitable Fertility Benefits Really Mean?
- Your Fertility Benefits May be Excluding LGBTQ+ Employees from Treatments
- June 23rd Webinar: LGBTQ+ Family Building: Donor 101
Family Building Options for the LGBTQ+ Community
Check out Progyny’s infographics, articles, and on-demand videos covering a range of family building topics. Whether you’re beginning to explore your options, getting started with treatment, or just educating yourself on what these treatments look like, check out these resources.
- LGBTQ+ Family Building Infographic
- Reciprocal IVF/Co-Maternity Infographic
- Family Building Strategies for LGBTQ+ Individuals and Couples
- Family Building Options for Same Sex Female Couples
- Family Building Options for Same Sex Male Couples
- What is Gestational Surrogacy? How does it work?
- Egg Donation: What You Need to Know
- Sperm Shortage: Sperm Bank vs Private Donor
- Is It a Good Idea to Use a Relative as a Sperm or Egg Donor?
- The Truth About Egg Donation
This Is Infertility Podcast
Listen to others as they reflect on their family building journeys. Some look back, some look ahead, and some are right in the thick of things—regardless of where you are in your journey it can be helpful to hear from others.
- Episode 5: Katie & Hilary: Changing the Plan
- Episode 6: Benjie & Jimmy: Becoming Daddy and Papa
- Episode 7: Family Building & Equality for Same Sex Couples
- Episode 8: Lindsey & Chrissy: Better Benefits, Clearer Decisions
- Episode 16: LGBTQ+ Family Building: One Voice that Changed a Company’s Paternity Leave Policy for Same-Sex Parents
- Episode 42: LGBTQ+ Family Building: Baby Bailey Mama Drama
- Episode 48: The Solo Path to Motherhood
- Episode 71: #NIAW: The Callahans’ New Ohana
- Episode 75: LGBTQ+ Family Building: 10 IUIs Before IVF Success
Non-Progyny LGBTQ+ Organizations
Looking for more information? Check out these resources.
- Family Equality Council
- Family Equality is a national American nonprofit organization whose mission is to advance legal and lived equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer families, and for those who wish to form them, through building community, changing hearts and minds, and driving policy change.
- Offers information about family building trends within the LGBTQ+ community
- Good for: current legislation and advocacy work
- PFLAG is the United States’ first and largest organization uniting parents, families, and allies with people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer. PFLAG National is the national organization, which provides support to the PFLAG network of local chapters
- Good for: local community building, parenting advice, advocacy
- LGBT Network
- Organizes networking events across the lifespan for the LGBT communities of Long Island and Queens
- Good for: networking, youth engagement, HIV education
- Gay Parents To Be
- Gay Parents To Be® is an informational resource and a starting point for LGBTQ parenting. We strive to provide the best care for LGBTQ couples and individuals as they navigate all of their family building options.
- Good for: family building options, parenting advice
- Men Having Babies
- Men Having Babies (MHB) is dedicated to providing gay men with educational and financial support to achieve parenthood through surrogacy.
- Offers annual conferences, workshops, webinars
- Good for: surrogacy advice, educational webinar, networking
If you’re looking for more resources on LGBTQ+ family building or want to browse other topics, visit our Education page.